Monday, July 5, 2010

Have You Met Tick and Trin Before?

*
I don't know if you have met these two fellows, Tick and Trin, but let me introduce you to them.  They come in handy once in a while and you may be glad you made their acquaintance.
*
Tick is accessed on either stockcharts or freestockcharts by entering the symbol $tick.  Personally, I like to make them invisible and then use a small numbered moving average to show me what each has to say.
*
What I am looking for is an extreme reading - in this case an extreme reading  of unsustainable selling - to give me a BUY signal.  After a sharp spike down turns up, that is the time to buy - so says Tick.
*
Click on the chart to ENLARGE
*
Whereas Tick excels at using price change for its calculation, Trin uses the advance/decline ratio of stocks and the ratio of up volume to down volume.
*
I have always found Trin to be a bit more obstinate than Tick - more difficult to get a straight answer from - but I do know this:  When Trin is very very high above ZERO, it is going to fall.  And when Trin falls, price goes up.
*
Both indicators, btw, use the NYSE for their data.  There is no such thing as a Tick or Trin indicator for a single stock or ETF (unfortunately).
*
Click on the chart to ENLARGE
   

No comments:

Post a Comment